What is the current state of affairs and where are we headed with regard to climate change programming in Extension? Discover more by joining “Climate Change in Extension: Elevating and Amplifying Action,” a virtual national action forum hosted by the National Extension Climate Initiative April 19-21, 2021. There is no fee to participate and all are welcome. Below is the agenda and link to register.
Agenda: https://nationalextensionclimateinitiative.net/events/ and below.
Register here: https://forms.gle/XnWZZW6mpdSE5Urd6
Monday, April 19 (9:00 – 10:30am PDT)
Setting the Stage: How can the Cooperative Extension System rise to our full potential in advancing climate change programming?
At this opening session, our panelists of federal leaders representing national Extension interests will each provide a brief presentation followed by open discussion with forum participants. Confirmed panelists (with additional invitations pending) include:
- Carrie Castille, Director, National Institute of Food and Agriculture
- Caroline Henney, Executive Director for the Cooperative Extension System/Extension Committee on Organization and Policy (ECOP)
- William “Bill” Hohenstein, Director, USDA’s Office of Energy and Environmental Policy Office of the Chief Economist
- Nikola Garber, Deputy Director of the National Sea Grant College Program
Monday, April 19 (10:30 – 11:30am PDT)
An informal space with breakouts to better connect with colleagues engaged in and passionate about climate change initiatives in Extension.
Tuesday, April 20 (9:00 – 10:30am PDT)
Digging Deeper into Extension Climate Programming with State Leadership Panels
On day two, our panelists of State Extension Directors from across the country will highlight some of the climate change-related Extension programming in their states followed by open discussion with forum participants. Confirmed panelists (with additional invitations pending) include:
- 1994 – TBD
- 1890 – Dr. Obadiah Njue, Assistant Dean for Extension, University of Arkansas-Pine Bluff
- South – Dr. Rich Bonanno, Associate Dean, CALS and Director, NC Extension
- North Central – Dr. Karl Martin, Dean and Director of Extension, UW Madison
- Northeast – Dr. Brian Schilling, Director of Extension, Rutgers University, and Chair, Association of Northeast Extension Directors
- West – Dr. Ken White, Vice President and Dean, USU Extension
Wednesday, April 21 (9:00 – 10:30am PDT)
Elevating and Amplifying Action
On the final day of the forum, join your colleagues in facilitated breakout sessions to discuss and identify priorities within your program area for advancing climate change education and action in the next 2, 12, and 24 months. Then come back together for the closing plenary to share each program area’s identified priorities and wrap up.